On Thursday 12 April 2001 23:52, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> Okay but what will be used for a base for hardware that has critical
> timing issues due to the rules of the hardware?
>
> I do not care but your drives/floppy/tapes/cdroms/cdrws do:
>
> /*
>  * Timeouts for various operations:
>  */
> #define WAIT_DRQ        (5*HZ/100)      /* 50msec - spec allows up to 20ms
> */ #ifdef CONFIG_APM
> #define WAIT_READY      (5*HZ)          /* 5sec - some laptops are very
> slow */ #else
> #define WAIT_READY      (3*HZ/100)      /* 30msec - should be instantaneous
> */ #endif /* CONFIG_APM */
> #define WAIT_PIDENTIFY  (10*HZ) /* 10sec  - should be less than 3ms (?), if
> all ATAPI CD is closed at boot */ #define WAIT_WORSTCASE  (30*HZ) /* 30sec
> - worst case when spinning up */ #define WAIT_CMD        (10*HZ) /* 10sec
> - maximum wait for an IRQ to happen */ #define WAIT_MIN_SLEEP  (2*HZ/100)
>    /* 20msec - minimum sleep time */
>
> Give me something for HZ or a rule for getting a known base so I can have
> your storage work and not corrupt.

Wouldn't it make sense to define these in real world units?
And to use that to determine requested accuracy...

Those who wait for seconds will probably not have a problem with up to (half)
a second longer wait - or...?
Those in range of the current jiffie should be able to handle up to one
jiffie longer...

Requesting a wait in ms gives yo ms accuracy...

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteå