Juri Haberland wrote:

> Hi Trevor,
>
> I have the same problem with almost the same combination (RH 7.0 instead of
> RH 7.1). Did you compile the XFree server yourself and if so, did you
> optimize it for i686? The reason why I'm asking is that I did that and
> suspected the optimazions to cause the crashes.
>
> Juri

Juri, et al.

    I did some searches on google.  It seems that it is the combination
of kernel 2.4, glibc2.2.x, and possibly the i686 optimizations.  I found
my machine was alive from a network connection.  The problem is, I cant
get my keyboard back even with sysrq (syslog does show it changing into
XLATE mode... I thought alt-ctrl-r was raw?).  Of course the machine was
alive, but X was dead. xscreensaver and the screen save it ran along
with most of the desktop stuff was still running.

  Anyway, I tried 'shutdown -r now'over the network. Didn't work.  I had
to do a hard reset.  So it seems the kernel may be slightly left in an
unknown or confused state.

I did not compile it myself.  Using RedHat 7.1 standard.

Since I saw this mentioned here recently, does gcc still think 686=cmov?
If so, Alan or someone else, does Athlon classic (slot 800 Mhz) support
cmov?

Trever Adams