Looking for the best way to give all users a common desktop, which comes from one
source (for easy administration).

Found copying my /root/.gnome & .sawfish directories to a user home breaks the user's
GUI, implying a symlink wouldn't work.  I am told .gnome & .sawfish can be copied to
/etc/skel to give common look for new users, but need ongoing single-source control.
Besides, I tried copying root's config files to skel & it broke user GUIs.

Security is also a concern, so couldn't symlink into root anyway.

Recommendations welcomed, please.
--
C.

The best way out is always through.
      - Robert Frost  A Servant to Servants, 1914