Peter Samuelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> [esr]
> > Besides, right now the configurator has a simple invariant.  It will
> > only accept consistent configurations
>
> So you are saying that the old 'vi .config; make oldconfig' trick is
> officially unsupported?  That's too bad, it was quite handy.

Depends on how you define `unsupported'.  Make oldconfig will tell you
exactly and unambiguously what was wrong with the configuration.  I think
if you're hard-core enough to vi your config, you're hard-core enough to
interpret and act on

    This configuration violates the following constraints:
    (X86 and SMP==y) implies RTC!=n

without needing some wussy GUI holding your hand :-).
--

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
        -- R. Buckminster Fuller