Followup to:  <l03130306b7332a134958@[209.239.217.188]>
By author:    "Jaswinder Singh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

>     I am using kernel 2.4.1 with compressed Ramdisk on  Hitachi SH board ,
> with no battery.   When i run kernel first time , it works fine , it
> uncompress Ramdisk and i get my shell prompt .    But when i restart it
> second time (with out  removing power cable ) kernel dies when
> uncompressing Ramdisk.   But , if i remove my power supply for more than 5
> minutes , and then i start again , it works again.   It seems that in 2.4.1
> and/or later versions has  Ramdisk Initailization or uninitialised memory
> problem. But i faced no problem  with 2.2.12 kernel.   Thank you,
>
> Best Regards,   Jaswinder (and his wonder machine).

First of all, try the latest kernel if you are going to report a bug.

For the kernel people, this is classic evidence of relying on
uninitialized memory; the "few minutes" is roughly how long it takes
modern SDRAM to *reliably* discharge.

        -hpa
--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> at work, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt