"J . A . Magallon" wrote:

> On 20010623 Keith Owens wrote:
> >
> >>What again are you trying to fix?  It looks to me like you are simply
> >>trying to make it harder for people actually working on the aic7xxx
> >>driver to have proper dependencies.
> >
> >The patch still works for anybody changing the aic7xxx firmware or the
> >aicasm code.  Any change to the generated files or the aicasm files now
> >forces a rebuild, the option is not required.  Only people changing
> >aic7xxx firmware are affected, instead of everybody.
> >

> It is easier than that. Nobody should be rebuilding the firmware apart
> from driver mantainers. If driver version in 2.4.5 is 6.1.13, that version
> includes a certain firmware in .h format and that is all. Apart from
> this, the author (Justin) can make available in his web page one other
> package for driver testers or developers including aicasm and firmware
> source. But that should not be in the kernel tree.
> If there are updates to the firmware, just send the patch for .h files
> to kernel mantainers and/or lkml, as everybody does.
>
> This is easier, doesn't it ?

It would cause problems for me. Perhaps it is an issue of XFS filesystem
patches, rather than the regular kernel, I don't know what it modifies
relative to aic7xxx. But so far all of my recent test kernels will fail
to complete boot correctly if rebuild firmware is not used.

D. Stimits, [EMAIL PROTECTED]