Given the general confusion and the difficulty of defining and
understanding the semantics of these predicates.  And given that the
foo_is_locked() predicates have a history of being used to implement
ghastly kludges, how about we simply nuke this statement:

Chris Wedgwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       if (!spin_is_locked(&p->sighand->siglock) &&
>  -                            !rwlock_is_locked(&tasklist_lock))
>  +                            !rwlock_write_locked(&tasklist_lock))

and be done with the whole thing?

I mean, do we really want these things in the kernel anyway?  We've never
needed them before.

If we reeeealy need the debug check, just do

        BUG_ON(read_trylock(...))