Hello,

This problem was previously described by Neil Conway.
All relevant information here:

 http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/2/10/97

I still see this very same problem on 2.6.11 vanilla and in Fedora/RawHide hernels. It has haunted me for a couple of months on several Fedora clients. Strangely, a Gentoo client isn't affected, but I couldn't investigate further.

When the current directory becomes inaccessible, it remains
so until I cd somewhere else and then cd back to it.
Sometimes I must wait a few seconds before cd succeeds.

Here's a sample session:

[executing a find / in another shell to trigger the bug]
beetle:/pub/linux/distro/fedora-devel# ll
ls: .: No such file or directory
beetle:/pub/linux/distro/fedora-devel# cd -
/
beetle:/# cd -
bash: cd: /pub/linux/distro/fedora-devel: No such file or directory
beetle:/#
[...a few seconds later...]
beetle:/# cd -
/pub/linux/distro/fedora-devel

Appears to be a client bug. The problem only happens when there's heavy filesystem activity on other filesystems (local or NFS).

NFS mount options:
rw,_netdev,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,hard,intr,proto=udp,addr=10.3.3.1

\X/  http://www.develer.com/