Indeed, Miklos, changing layers dynamically is VERY tricky.  Unionfs supports
that, but a good amount of its code all over is dedicated to handling dynamic
layer changes.  I advise you to avoid supporting this feature for a while, if
ever: get a small, functional, working overlayfs first.

I personally never liked the idea of changing layers dynamically: it’s like
asking a file system to remain consistent and detect all lower changes when
someone goes and hand-edits disk blocks.  Too messy.  The pain of developing
and supporting such a feature is much greater than the annoyance to users who
have to unmount and remount back their layers to form a new structure.

Cheers,
Erez.