Hello,

I feel disturbed by the fact that when display-controlling programs are started
in line (like the bootloader, linux, and finally xdm/gdm/kdm), there appear
several switches of display resolution, text- and graphics mode, and background
images. I asked myself how to get that more smooth as if there was only one
presentation from the time the bootloader started up to the gnome/kde session.
I thought that one could implement a small api that allows a running process to
freeze display updates until the next process has overtaken the display, loaded
the same presentation (from same location or just by similar configuration),
dumped it to the working buffer of the graphics card, and released the display
(a timeout with fallback-mode could make this transaction more
fault-resistent). This way, the image loaded by the bootloader could be held on
display up to the graphical login, and even as the desktop background, without
any visible effect.

Is this technically feasible?

Regards

Dennis Heuer