* John Stultz <john.stu...@linaro.org> wrote:

> clocksource_max_deferment() doesn't do anything useful
> anymore, so zap it.

Well, it does something useful, it encapsulates the max_deferment
property of the clocksource:

> -static u64 clocksource_max_deferment(struct clocksource *cs)
> -{
> -     u64 max_nsecs;
> -
> -     max_nsecs = clocks_calc_max_nsecs(cs->mult, cs->shift, cs->maxadj,
> -                                       cs->mask);
> -     return max_nsecs;
> -}

Which could be written in a shorter form, using:

static u64 clocksource_max_deferment(struct clocksource *cs)
{
        return clocks_calc_max_nsecs(cs->mult, cs->shift, cs->maxadj, cs->mask);
}

Which all allows short forms of:

        cs->max_idle_ns = clocksource_max_deferment(cs);

without writing out all the arguments.

Instead of that, you've introduced:

> +     cs->max_idle_ns = clocks_calc_max_nsecs(cs->mult, cs->shift,
> +                                              cs->maxadj, cs->mask);

> +     cs->max_idle_ns = clocks_calc_max_nsecs(cs->mult, cs->shift,
> +                                              cs->maxadj, cs->mask);

Which in the next patch gets even worse:

>       cs->max_idle_ns = clocks_calc_max_nsecs(cs->mult, cs->shift,
> +                                              cs->maxadj, cs->mask,
> +                                              &cs->max_cycles);

>       /* calculate max idle time permitted for this clocksource */
>       cs->max_idle_ns = clocks_calc_max_nsecs(cs->mult, cs->shift,
> +                                              cs->maxadj, cs->mask,
> +                                              &cs->max_cycles);

While with the helper function it would still be the same sweet:

        cs->max_idle_ns = clocksource_max_deferment(cs);

So I don't think this cleanup is an improvement ...

Thanks,

        Ingo