* Linus Torvalds <torva...@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> The one thing we might want to do is to rename the config option, simply to
> make
> sure that people who do "make oldconfig" will actually see the new question
> and
> hopefully pick the new default rather than just getting their old "y" without
> even seeing it. Call the option "LEGACY_VM86" or something, perhaps?

Absolutely!

The 'default n' makes very little sense without changing the name - most
distros
have the old symbol already and will just grandfather in at whatever value it
was.

Change the name and also update the help text to make it scarier: point out
that
it has known quirks and that we don't really trust the code because it's
ancient,
crippled on the hardware side because vm86 mode was never fully documented by
CPU
makers, back when x86 CPU makers (and Microsoft) considered virtualization an
enemy of Windows revenue.

Thanks,

        Ingo