Hi,

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 5:55 AM, Peter Zijlstra <pet...@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 01:21:06PM +0100, Mark Rutland wrote:
>>
>> As with my earlier comments, I don't think these can be grouped with
>> events (not even from the same PMU given their free-running nature).
>>
>> They're CPU-affine, so you can associate them with work done on that
>> CPU.
>
> Just record the deltas from them while you're on.

Yes, free-running are already handled by the kernel, the RAPL counters
are a good example.
The uncore IMC counters (for SNB/IVB/HSW/BDW) client processors is
another example.
Just compute deltas, and make sure you do not miss a wrap-around of
the counter if it is
not wide enough to never wrap-around.