On 21.07.2015 23:41, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 04:35:24PM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:09:32PM +0900, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
>
>>> The function looks empty so it can be removed entirely.
>
>> I assumed that not having a remove function makes the device not
>> detachable. Not sure about that.
>
> No, of course not - the remove function is completely optional.
>
>> Looking at the code I found that not having a remove function can yield
>> surprises, though. If your driver has a probe but no remove function the
>> platform bus glue calls
>
>>      dev_pm_domain_attach(_dev, true);
>
>> at probe time, but not
>
>>      dev_pm_domain_detach(_dev, true);
>
>> at remove. I admit I don't know about that dev_pm_domain stuff, but it
>> looks wrong to only have one but not the other. Greg?
>
> That looks like a bug, yes.

Cc: linux-pm, Kevin, Rafael, Ulf

I agree, device should be detached from domain regardless of presence of
remove callback.

Documentation (like Documentation/driver-model/driver.txt) does not
mention that remove callback is necessary for unbinding devices. There
is no sense in storing empty removal callbacks.

Best regards,
Krzysztof