Hi Martin,

Am 28.06.2018 um 09:20 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
And as stated in my other reply to the patch:

partition needs 64 bit disk device support in AmigaOS or AmigaOS
like
operating systems (NSD64, TD64 or SCSI direct)

I'd probably leave it at 'disk needs 64 bit disk device support on
native OS', and only print that warning once.

This is fine with me.

OK, I'll go with that.

In the interest of least surprises, we have to fix the 32 bit overflow
(so we can even detect that it would have happened), and give the
user the chance to carefully consider whether to accept the new
behaviour. That means refusing to make available any partition that
would have been affected by such overflow.

That is acceptable for me as I told before. Either mount or refuse to
mount, but do not overflow and mount nonetheless :)

Mind you, I am not using my Amiga machines either at the moment. And I
repurposed the 2 TB disk years ago.

That's fine - I understand the 'profile' image was a true binary copy of the RDB, and placing that file at offset 0 in an image file is a legitimate use?

I would not name the kernel option "eat_my_rdb", but use a less
dramatizing name.

Maybe just: "allow_64bit_rdb" or something like that.

I don't expect to get away with that :-)

How does the user come to know about this kernel option? Will you print
its name in kernel log?

Depends on how easy we want to make it for users. If I put a BUG() trap with the check, the resulting log section will point to a specific line in block/partitions/amiga.c, from which the override option will be obvious. But that might be a little too opaque for some...

Cheers,

        Michael