Hi Finn,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 12:42 AM Finn Thain <fth...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Oct 2019, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > I'm working to add this list to lore.kernel.org.
>
> That's great news because lore.kernel.org is a search engine that actually
> works.

Yes, and recently, lots of commits gained Link: tags, so as soon as the
archive is populated, those will start working (they already do if e.g. lkml
was CCed on the original patch posting).

> > As one of prerequisites they require that we provide full existing
> > archives of all list messages (or, at least, as complete as possible).
> > I've collected mine already, but would really appreciate if you could
> > pitch in from your own collection.
> >
> > Just follow the instructions on this page:
> > https://korg.wiki.kernel.org/userdoc/lore
> >

> For anyone else attempting this, note that linux-m68k has two addresses,
> so you need to pass two '-l' parameters:
> -l linux-m68k.vger.kernel.org linux-m68k.lists.linux-m68k.org

Correct.

> The above wiki page neglects to mention that the 'list-archive-maker.py'
> script has serious problems.

I'd say: ignore that script.

> Another problem with that script is that it captures too much. It will
> grab messages that appear to be cross-posted (based on To: or Cc:) even if
> those messages never reached linux-m68k. I suppose the idea is that
> capturing too much is better than too little?

I think that's intentional: when CCing multiple lists, possibly with a personal
CC too, people may have stored a single copy of the received email only,
while you still want it in the archive.

Still, one might question why those messages never reached the list...

> > My  archive should be fairly complete, except for network outages, and e.g.
> > the Gandi email disaster week 2 years ago.  And I don't have anything from
> > the real early days, unfortunately.
>
> I'll let you know if I find any missing messages here

Thanks!

Please note that I discovered that something went wrong when creating
export-linux-m68k-vger.kernel.org2.mbox, so it lacks some emails I do have.
I uploaded those IDs to an additional file (84 IDs):
http://users.telenet.be/geertu/export-linux-m68k-vger.kernel.org2.id.extra.xz

> > Note that sanitization script choked on some mails from the old
> > phil.uni-sb.de list, so it didn't succeed for me.
>
> Was that the "From" bug? I am experimenting with pre-processing of mboxes
> to substitute the "From" lines in the message bodies. Not yet sure if this
> will be entirely successful...

Possibly, my old archives were stored in Alpine mboxes.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- ge...@linux-m68k.org