Hi Ivan,

2009/3/18 Ivan T. Ivanov <iiva...@mm-sol.com>:
>  Hi Kim,
>
> On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 13:32 +0900, Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I accidently realized today that I was using white balance control in wrong
>> way.
>>
>> As far as I understand we've got
>>
>> V4L2_CID_AUTO_WHITE_BALANCE which activate auto white balance
>> adjustment in runtime,
>> V4L2_CID_DO_WHITE_BALANCE_TEMPERATURE specifying absolute kelvin value
>>
>> but can't get what V4L2_CID_DO_WHITE_BALANCE is for.
>
>  My understanding is that V4L2_CID_DO_WHITE_BALANCE enable/disable
>  white balance processing, while with
>  V4L2_CID_DO_WHITE_BALANCE_TEMPERATURE you can specify explicitly
>  ambient temperature.

OK, then according to your explanation DO_WHITE_BALANCE is only for
AUTO_WHITE_BALANCE. Am I following?
Because only auto white balance mode does processing and make changes
in color temperature while preview is working.

>> I think after issuing V4L2_CID_AUTO_WHITE_BALANCE and
>> V4L2_CID_WHITE_BALANCE_TEMPERATURE,
>> the white balance functionality works immediately. Isn't it right?
>>
>> What exactly is the button type V4L2_CID_DO_WHITE_BALANCE for? Because
>> the V4L2 API document says that "(the value is ignored)". Does that
>> mean that even we have issued V4L2_CID_AUTO_WHITE_BALANCE and
>> V4L2_CID_WHITE_BALANCE_TEMPERATURE, we can't see the white balance
>> working at that moment?
>>
>> And one more thing. If I want to serve several white balance presets,
>> like cloudy, dawn, sunny and so on, what should I do?
>> I think it should be supported as menu type, but most of drivers are
>> using white balance CID with integer type...then what should I do?
>> Define preset names with kelvin number like this?
>
>  I also will like to see controls which specify different kind of
>  white balance mode (cloudy, sunny, tungsten...). in this case
>  we can thing about V4L2_CID_WHITE_BALANCE_TEMPERATURE as 'manual'
>  mode, and let other modes to be handled by some clever algorithms ;).

If there isn't any driver which is driving white balance with menu
type, there should be some reason for that.
I want to make it clear if I could. I hope Hans or other maintainer
could answer this.
Cheers,

Nate

>  IIvanov
>

>> #define WB_CLOUDY 8000
>>
>> Pretty confusing... anyone knows what should I do?
>>
>> Nate
>> --

DongSoo, Nathaniel Kim
Engineer
Mobile S/W Platform Lab.
Digital Media & Communications R&D Centre
Samsung Electronics CO., LTD.
e-mail : dongsoo....@gmail.com
          dongsoo45....@samsung.com