On 05/24/2009 07:10 PM, Matt Doran wrote:
Hi there,

I tried using the latest v4l code on an Mythtv box running 2.6.20, but
the v4l videodev module fails to load with the following warnings:

   videodev: Unknown symbol i2c_unregister_device
   v4l2_common: Unknown symbol v4l2_device_register_subdev

It seems the "i2c_unregister_device" function was added in 2.6.26.
References to this function in v4l2-common.c are enclosed in an ifdef
like:

   #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 26)

However in "v4l2_device_unregister()" in v4l2-device.c, there is a
reference to "i2c_unregister_device" without any ifdefs.   I am
running a pretty old kernel, but I'd guess anyone running 2.6.25 or
earlier will have this problem.   It seems this code was added by
Mauro 3 weeks ago in this rev:

   http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/rev/87afa7a4ccdf

I also had some other compile problems, but don't have all the details
(sorry!).  I had to disable the following drivers to get it to compile:

   * CONFIG_VIDEO_PVRUSB2
   * CONFIG_VIDEO_THS7303
   * CONFIG_VIDEO_ADV7343
   * CONFIG_DVB_SIANO_SMS1XXX

Regards,
Matt

Matt, I checked out v4l-dvb today and am using it under 2.6.24 and so far so good. When did the error appear -- when you were trying to load the module?

I have been seeing the errors compiling adv7343.c and ths7303.c under 2.6.24 as well. Andy Walls and Chaithrika Subrahmanya had written patches for those two modules respectively, but there were some comments during the review of the patches, so I think they are still being worked on.

David