On Tuesday 16 June 2009 13:07:55 Eduardo Valentin wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 01:01:51PM +0200, ext Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 June 2009 12:47:14 Eduardo Valentin wrote:
> > > Hi Hans,
> > >
> > > On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 01:37:20PM +0200, ext Hans Verkuil wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

> > > hehehe.. Yes, that's what I was expecting :-). No problem. I've
> > > started it. I will resend the series once I've completed the
> > > re-factoring and I 've made some testing after that. I hope tomorrow
> > > or so.

> > > Right. Yes, better to test the stuff a bit more.

> > > Ok.

> > > Ok. I'll take a look at it.
> >
> > I've worked on this yesterday. You can take a look at my v4l-dvb-rds
> > tree. Both the API and the documentation of it in the v4l2-spec is in
> > there. I started work on updating the few RDS decoders that we have,
> > but that is not yet in that tree.

> > > No. Not that I know. Can you point some link?
> >
> > http://www.rds.org.uk/rdsfrdsrbds.html
> >
> > But I've just read here:
> >
> > http://www.rds.org.uk/rds98/pdf/rdsForum_standards_090414_8.pdf
> >
> > that MMBS is discontinued. I'll need to investigate this further, but
> > if this is indeed true then this can be removed completely from our RDS
> > decoder and encoder APIs.
>
> Yes, better to double check. At least with si4713, I haven't heard
> anything about this.

MMBS does definitely not apply to this FM transmitter. In order to transmit
MMBS you would need to have a license to do so since it seems to be a
proprietary format.

I have not been able to confirm that it is indeed discontinued, but since it
is a proprietary predecessor format of RDS it is very very likely indeed
that this is true. I'm going to remove the MMBS support from my RDS API and
I'll just add a note to the spec that if anyone needs this, then they
should contact the list.

I am glad I found this in time before the final RDS decoding API is in the
kernel.