On Tuesday 30 June 2009 15:56:08 Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM, George Czerw<gcz...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Devin, thanks for the reply.
> >
> > Lsmod showed that "tuner" was NOT loaded (wonder why?), a "modprobe
> > tuner" took care of that and now the HVR-1800 is displaying video
> > perfectly and the tuning function works.  I guess that I'll have to add
> > "tuner" into modprobe.preload.d????  Now if only I can get the sound
> > functioning along with the video!
> >
> > George
>
> Admittedly, I don't know why you would have to load the tuner module
> manually on the HVR-1800.  I haven't had to do this on other products?
>
> If you are doing raw video capture, then you need to manually tell
> applications where to find the ALSA device that provides the audio.
> If you're capturing via the MPEG encoder, then the audio will be
> embedded in the stream.
>
> Devin

I don't understand why the audio/mpeg ports of the HVR-1800 don't show up in
output of lspci:

03:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. Device 8880 (rev
0f)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. Device 7801
        Memory at f9c00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
        Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [90] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Mask- 64bit+ Count=1/1 Enable-
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [200] Virtual Channel <?>
        Kernel driver in use: cx23885
        Kernel modules: cx23885

even though the dmesg output clearly shows this:

tveeprom 0-0050: decoder processor is CX23887 (idx 37)
tveeprom 0-0050: audio processor is CX23887 (idx 42)