Devin, thank you for your reply, please see below;

> I did the work for the au0828 bridge, which is used in the US based
> HVR-950q tuner.  I've also done alot of work on the em28xx bridge.

I understand the problem but unfortunately this is of little use to
identify the product to purchase :-(

>> All I need is a USB hybrid analog PAL/DVB-T TV with FM tuner. (I'm in
>> Australia)
>
> That's a tough one.  I am in the United States, so I'm not in a good
> position to recommend DVB-T tuners.  To make matters worse, vendors
> often come out with new hardware designs with the same name as tuners
> that were previously supported under Linux, so even when a user looks
> in the LinuxTV wiki, there's a chance that the tuner he then goes out
> and buys will not be the same hardware.

Well we can always return such devices, and send a "thank-you-not!"
email to the vendor in question. Maybe if they knew why are people
returning there products, they'll stop doing it and label there
products correctly depending on hardware built-in...

So a list of known working devices would still be of great help....

> http://devinjh.livejournal.com/174527.html

Please see my response, and my donation. Also see:

http://www.smolts.org/static/stats/by_class_CAPTURE.html

We know there are few million Linux boxes out there, but even for
100.000, 0.4% means There are 400 Bt878 devices out there on Linux...
plus, look at the second, and fifth lines :-)

I would doubt any vendor would ignore sale of few thousand of there
devices, especially the maker of the chip used in all of them.

Just for example. And Smolts is a) a very new thing, b) disabled by
default so user must explicitly enable collection of data from
his/hers PC, c) still not included in all major distros.

So regardless of absolute numbers, take a look at percentages - they
are the key for getting both vendor and user support.

Cheers,
Andrej Falout