On Sunday 19 July 2009 09:38:54 Jean Delvare wrote:
> > 3. When using the new i2c binding model, I opted not to use ir_video for
> > the Z8F0811 loaded with microcode from Zilog/Hauppauge.  Since I needed
> > one name for Rx binding and one for Tx binding, I used these names:
> >
> >       "ir_tx_z8f0811_haup"
> >       "ir_rx_z8f0811_haup"
> >
> > [Which is ir_(func)_(part number)_(firmware_oem)].  It made sense to me.
> > I assume these are the names to which ir-kbd-i2c and lirc_* will have to
> > bind.  Is that correct?
>
> Yes, this is correct, and the approach is good. Ideally the "ir_video"
> type would not exist (or would go away over time) and we would have a
> separate type name for each IR chip, resulting in much cleaner code.
> The reason for the current implementation is solely historical.

Cool. When fixing up lirc_i2c, I actually *did* have a question about
that which I forgot about until reading this. The only name I could
find in use anywhere at a glance was ir_video, so that's what lirc_i2c
is set to hook up to for the moment, but yeah, device-specific names
instead would be great. Hrm. Offhand, I don't have a clue what the
actual IR chip is on the PVR-x50 series, let alone any of the other
cards lirc_i2c claims to support...

--
Jarod Wilson
ja...@redhat.com