On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 05:59:07PM -0400, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Clinton Meyer<clintonmeye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Purchased a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q USB Hybrid TV stick to capture ATSC
> > OTA TV.
> >
> > Am running MEPIS 8.06 on all three machines, Debian 5 Lenny based, KDE
> > 3.5.10, kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
> >
> > All three machines now have wireless blocked, either do not connect or
> > all packets dropped/blocked if a connection is made.
> >
> > Used the resources from LinuxTV (dot) org
> >
> > to get it working, they are referenced and posted as follows:
> >  linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-950Q#Firmware
> >
> > ******** *********** **********
> >  Quote:
> > In order to use the LinuxTV driver, you need to download and install
> > the firmware for the xc5000.
> >
> > Quote:
> > wget  ... steventoth (dot) net/linux/xc50...25271_WHQL (dot) zip
> > wget ... steventoth (dot) net/linux/xc5000/extract (dot) sh
> >  sh extract (dot) sh
> > cp dvb-fe-xc5000-1.1 (dot) fw /lib/firmware
> > :Unquote
> >
> > Note: Though the usual directory location in which the firmware file
> > is placed is /lib/firmware, this may differ in the case of some
> > distros; consult your distro's documentation for the appropriate
> > location.
> >
> > The firmware will be added lazily (on-demand) when you first use the driver.
> > Drivers
> >
> > The xc5000 driver needed for this WinTV-HVR-950Q is already part of
> > the latest Linux kernel (part of v4l-dvb drivers).
> >
> > Analog support was merged into the mainline v4l-dvb tree on March 18, 2009.
> > :Unquote
> > ******** *********** ********** ******** *********** **********
> > So on Saturday I got this up and running... and Sunday morning
> > recorded one show successfully that had set up on a timer.
> >
> > Then set up three consecutive shows for the afternoon.
> > They were all part of a series on the same channel. Here are the results:
> >
> >     * Show A, 2.5 hours long, 13.2gb file size, appears to be OK.
> >     * Show B, 2.0 hours long, 3.7gb file size, appears to be OK.
> >      * Show C, supposed to be 2.0 hours long, result was 2.7gb file
> > size, about the first hour is missing.
> >
> > At about this point, I lost wireless internet connectivity on TV
> > recording laptop. Machine sees the access point, but won't connect.
> >
> > Went to my main desktop where i had first worked with this Hauppauge
> > WinTV-HVR-950Q USB Hybrid TV stick and that machine also lost
> > internet, even though it was right next to AP and got a very good
> > signal.
> >
> > Thought it was maybe the AP, so switched it out for a working spare.
> >  Same results.
> > Packed up laptop and a spare laptop, along with a MEPIS 8.06 LiveCD
> > and an 8.06 Live USB stick and hit the road to go to a reliable high
> > speed wifi spot.
> > Same results... changins ISPs resulted in the same issues.
> [...]

Not sure if its the same issue, but on some USB chipsets/motherboards there
definitely are problems with two or more bandwidth-demanding cards like
tuners, wireless sticks, etc. Either its a dvb-usb subsystem issue or lower
level usb problem, who knows.

See this for details, very similar case: usb wifi dongle + usb digital tuner.

My problem also described in that bug report, got all the hardware and 100%
reproducible situation, would be nice if somebody helps to debug it.