On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Andy Walls <awa...@radix.net> wrote:
> +       /* FIXME: hard-coded for NTSC support */
> +       format->fmt.vbi.sampling_rate = 6750000 * 4 / 2; /* FIXME: ??? */
>
> The BT.656 Pixel clock for both 60 Hz and 50 Hz systems is 13.5
> Mpixels/sec.  Unless you switch to PAL or NTSC square pixel timing for
> some reason, I would expect this particular number to stay the same for
> both PAL and NTSC.
>
> A pixel in BT.656 consists of 1 Y sample and 1 U or V sample.  So, in
> the VBI active line regions, I would have expected 2 * 13.5 Msamples/sec
> for VBI data.  I don't know if any app in userland actually pays
> attention to this number though....
>
> Regards,
> Andy

Hey Andy,

Well, when I said "hard-coded for NTSC support", I was referring to
the entire block of code that followed, not just the one on the
sampling rate.  I expect the line count and start offsets to be
different for PAL as well.

In reality, the "???" was because I actually didn't know what the
proper value needs to be.  I copied it from another driver without
fully understanding its role, and changing it caused userland to break
(zvbi-ntsc-cc in this case).

Worth noting that we are actually delivering 8-bit VBI info, as
opposed to 16-bit yuyv (there are some USB bandwidth issues I'm
actively working and doing 16-bit put me over the limit), so I'm not
confident that the generalization for ITU656 applies.

As I get the PAL support working, that area will certainly get some cleanup...

Cheers,

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs