Am 24.08.2016 um 12:42 schrieb Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mche...@s-opensource.com>:

> Markus,
>
> Em Thu, 18 Aug 2016 17:21:27 -0600
> Jonathan Corbet <cor...@lwn.net> escreveu:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 13:25:34 -0300
>> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mche...@s-opensource.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think this patch series belong to docs-next. Feel free to merge them
>>> there, if
>>> you agree. There's one extra patch that touches Documentation/conf.py,
>>> re-adding the media book to the PDF build, but IMHO this one would be better
>>> to be merged via the media tree, after the fixes inside the media
>>> documentation
>>> to fix the build.
>>
>> It's now in docs-next.  I was able to build some nice-looking docs with it
>> without too much (additional) pain...
>
> I'm noticing a very weird behavior when I'm building documentation on
> my server. There, I'm using this command:
>
>       $ make cleandocs; make V=1 DOCBOOKS="" SPHINXDIRS=media
> SPHINX_CONF="conf.py" htmldocs

Hi Mauro,

if you build a sub-folder, the conf.py is the default. You don't need
to name conf.py it explicit and you can leave the DOCBOOKS env.

$ make V=1 SPHINXDIRS=media cleandocs htmldocs

or less verbose:

$ make SPHINXDIRS=media cleandocs htmldocs

But this does not answer your question ;)

> This is what happens on my local machine:
>       http://pastebin.com/VGqvDa7T

Seems to build fine. But this is not "make V=1" log.

> And this is the result of the same command on my server, accessed via ssh:
>       http://pastebin.com/1MFi5LEG

Same here, it is not a "make V=1" log. The errors like:

 WARNING: inline latex u"L' = L ^{\\frac{1}{2.19921875}}": latex exited with
error

are dubious first. Which branch did you compile. It seems you are
using "inline latex" ... this seems not in Jon's docs-next.
I checked your experimental docs-next, there is a related
markup, so I think you compiling this branch.

.. math::

   L' = L ^{\frac{1}{2.19921875}}

So I guess the error message is related to one of the sphinx-extensions:

# The name of the math extension changed on Sphinx 1.4
if minor > 3:
   extensions.append("sphinx.ext.imgmath")
else:
   extensions.append("sphinx.ext.pngmath")

Since there is a log "Running Sphinx v1.4.6" (both, desktop and server) I
guess it is related to the sphinx.ext.imgmath extension.

I haven't tested math-extensions yet, I will give it a try
and send you my experience later. In the meantime you can check
your math-extensions on desktop and server ...

In general I guess:

0.) you compiling different branches

or

1.) on your desktop the math-extension miss some latex stuff
and does not run, so you get no errors (or it runs perfect
without any error).

or / and

2.) on your server the math-extension runs and has some
problems with the "L' = L ^{\frac{1}{2.19921875}}" expression.

> As you can see, it seems that internally sphinx is calling a
> make -C Documentation/output/latex, with is very bad, because it takes
> a lot of extra time to run and produces an useless output. It also produces
> a wrong output, as it would be calling pdflatex, instead of xelatex.

As said, I haven't tested math-extensions yet. But the math extension
uses "latex" as default / not xelatex

* imgmath_latex:
http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/ext/math.html#module-sphinx.ext.imgmath
* pngmath_latex:
https://linuxtv.org/downloads/sphinx-1.2.3/ext/math.html#module-sphinx.ext.pngmath

> Do you have any glue about what's going on?

No ;-)  ... check the math-extension process as described above.

> Also, if I use the "-j33" sphinx option, it complains:
>
> WARNING: the kernel_include extension does not declare if it is safe for
> parallel reading, assuming it isn't - please ask the extension author to
> check and make it explicit
> WARNING: doing serial read

Yes I know, it is the same with the kernel_doc extension, I can send a patch
for both.

> Btw, we need to add support to build just one PDF file, as we did with
> the htmldocs.

You mean, when you build a subfolder (SPHINXDIRS=media), you wanted
to build a PDF with only media stuff in .. right? .. thats what
I suggested in one of my last mails .. I can sent a patch for this.

-- Markus --