> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Giuseppe Borzi <gbo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah, that happens with Ubuntu Karmic.  The v4l-dvb firedtv driver
> >> depends on headers that are private to ieee1394 and not in their
> >> kernel headers package.
> >>
> >> To workaround the issue, open v4l/.config and set the firedtv
> >> driver from "=m" to "=n"
> >>
> >> Devin
> >>

> > Thanks Devin,
> > following your instruction for firedtv I've compiled
> > v4l-dvb-5578cc977a13 but the results aren't so good. After doing an
> > "make rminstall" , compiling and "make install" I plugged the USB
> > stick, the various devices were created (including /dev/dvb) and
> > here is the dmesg output (now it's identified as card=1)
> >
> > then I started checking if it works. The command "vlc channels.conf"
> > works, i.e. it plays the first channel in the list, but is unable to
> > switch channel. me-tv doesn't start, but I think this is related to
> > the recent gnome upgrade. w_scan doesn't find any channel.
>
> Open v4l/em28xx-cards.c and comment out line 181 so it looks like:
>
> //        {EM2880_R04_GPO,        0x04,   0xff,          100},/*
> zl10353 reset */
>
> This is an issue I have been actively debugging for two other users.
>
> > Analog TV only shows video, no audio. Tried this both with sox and
> > vlc. When you say that I have to choose the right TV standard (PAL
> > for my region) do you mean I have to select this in the TV app I'm
> > using (tvtime, vlc, xawtv) or as a module option? I've not seen any
> > em28xx option for TV standard, so I suppose it's in the app.
>
> Correct - the em28xx module does not have module parameters for the
> standard - you have to select it in the application.
>
> > Finally, I've noticed that the device is much less hot than it
> > happened with out of kernel modules and the card=11 workaround.
> > Is your latest post "em28xx mode switching" related to my device?
>
> Yes, it is one device effected by that discussion.
>
> Devin

Thanks Devin,
now DVB works as expected, i.e. I can change channel and w_scan
finds the channels available in my area. The stick is recognized as
card=1 instead of 53 as I expected, but still it works fine.
Still no sound for analog TV, but that's a minor problem.

Thanks again.

  Giuseppe Borzi, Assistant Professor at the
  University of Messina - Department of Civil Engineering
  Address: Contrada di Dio, Messina, I-98166, Italy
  Tel:     +390903977323
  Fax:     +390903977480
  email:   gbo...@ieee.org
  url:     http://ww2.unime.it/dic/gborzi/index.php