Em Thu, 15 Dec 2016 15:03:36 +0100
Hans Verkuil <hverk...@xs4all.nl> escreveu:

> On 15/12/16 13:56, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > Hi Sakari,

> > There's plenty of way to try and work around the problem in drivers, some
> > more
> > racy than others, but if we require changes to all platform drivers to fix
> > this we need to ensure that we get it right, not as half-baked hacks spread
> > around the whole subsystem.
>
> Why on earth do we want this for the omap3 driver? It is not a hot-pluggable
> device and I see no reason whatsoever to start modifying platform drivers just
> because you can do an unbind. I know there are real hot-pluggable devices, and
> getting this right for those is of course important.

That's indeed a very good point. If unbind is not needed by any usecase,
the better fix for OMAP3 would be to just prevent it to happen in the first
place.

> In my view the main problem is that the media core is bound to a struct
> device set by the driver that creates the MC. But since the MC gives an
> overview of lots of other (sub)devices the refcount of the media device
> should be increased for any (sub)device that adds itself to the MC and
> decreased for any (sub)device that is removed. Only when the very last
> user goes away can the MC memory be released.
>
> The memory/refcounting associated with device nodes is unrelated to this:
> once a devnode is unregistered it will be removed in /dev, and once the
> last open fh closes any memory associated with the devnode can be released.
> That will also decrease the refcount to its parent device.
>
> This also means that it is a bad idea to embed devnodes in a larger struct.
> They should be allocated and freed when the devnode is unregistered and
> the last open filehandle is closed.
>
> Then the parent's device refcount is decreased, and that may now call its
> release callback if the refcount reaches 0.
>
> For the media controller's device: any other device driver that needs access
> to it needs to increase that device's refcount, and only when those devices
> are released will they decrease the MC device's refcount.
>
> And when that refcount goes to 0 can we finally free everything.
>
> With regards to the opposition to reverting those initial patches, I'm
> siding with Greg KH. Just revert the bloody patches. It worked most of the
> time before those patches, so reverting really won't cause bisect problems.

You're contradicting yourself here ;)

The patches that this patch series is reverting are the ones that
de-embeeds devnode struct and fixes its lifecycle.

Reverting those patches will cause regressions on hot-pluggable drivers,
preventing them to be unplugged. So, if we're willing to revert, then we
should also revert MC support on them.

> Just revert and build up things as they should.
>
> Note that v4l2-dev.c doesn't do things correctly (it doesn't set the cdev
> parent pointer for example) and many drivers (including omap3isp) embed
> video_device, which is wrong and can lead to complications.
>
> I'm to blame for the embedding since I thought that was a good idea at one
> time. I now realized that it isn't. Sorry about that...
>
> And because the cdev of the video_device doesn't know about the parent
> device it is (I think) possible that the parent device is released before
> the cdev is released. Which can result in major problems.

I agree with you here. IMHO, de-embeeding cdev's struct from video_device
seems to be the right thing to do at V4L2 side too.

Regards,
Mauro