On 16/11/17 09:48, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> [...]
>>> kref for each v4l2_ctrl_ref in a request sounds overkill to me), and maybe
>>> also
>>> more predictible since we would have less chance of having dangling old
>>> values.

>>> One thing that seems to be missing is, what happens if you try to set a
>>> control
>>> on an empty request? IIUC this would currently fail because find_ref() would
>>> not be able to find the control. The value ref should probably be created in
>>> that case so we can create requests with a handful of controls.
>>
>> Wasn't the intention that we never have an empty request but always clone?
>> I.e. in your code the _alloc call is always followed by a _clone call.
>>
>> The reason I have a separate _alloc function is that you use that when you
>> want to create a new control handler ('new request'). If the user wants to
>> reuse an
>> existing request, then _clone can be called directly on the existing handler.
>>
>>> Also, if you clone a handler that is not a request, I understand that all
>>> controls will be deduplicated, creating a full-state copy? That could be
>>> useful,
>>> but since this is the only way to make the current code work, I hope that
>>> the
>>> current impossibility to set a control on an empty request is a bug (or
>>> misunderstanding from my part).
>>
>> I think it is a misunderstanding. Seen from userspace you'll never have an
>> empty
>> request.
>
> It depends on what we want requests to be:
>
> (1) A representation of what the complete state of the device should
> be when processing buffers, or
>
> (2) A set of controls to be applied before processing buffers.
>
> IIUC your patchset currently implements (1): as we clone a request (or
> the current state of the device), we create a new ref for every
> control that is not inherited. And when applying the request, we
> consider all these controls again.
>
> There is the fact that on more complex pipelines, the number of
> controls may be big enough that we may want to limit the number we
> need to manage per request, but my main concern is that this will
> probably disallow some use-cases that we discussed in Prague.
>
> For instance, let's say I create a request for a camera sensor by
> cloning the device's control_handler, and set a few controls like
> exposure that I want to be used for a give frame. But let's also say
> that I have another thread taking care of focus on the same device -
> this thread uses some other input to constantly adjust the focus by
> calling S_EXT_CTRLS directly (i.e. without a request). When my request
> gets processed, the focus will be reset to whatever it was when I
> cloned the request, which we want to avoid (if you remember, I
> interrupted Laurent to ask whether this is the behavior we wanted, and
> we all agreed it was).
>
> Or maybe I am missing something in your implementation?

Such things are simply not yet implemented. This is just a first version
that should be good enough for codecs. Once we have something up and
running that can be used for some real-life testing, then I will work on
this some more.

> That does not change the fact that I keep working on codecs using the
> current model, but I think we will want to address this. The simplest
> way to do this would be to only create refs for controls that we
> explicitly change (or when cloning a request and not the
> state_handler). It would also have the added benefit of reducing the
> number of refs. :)

Memory usage is not the problem here as compared to buffers the memory used
by requests is tiny. My plan is to be smart with how p_req is set. Right now
it always points to the local copy, but this can point to wherever the
'previous' value is stored. I have several ideas, but I rather wait until
I have something I can test.

But in any case, a control handler should have refs to all the controls,
that's how it works.