Hi all,

I would like to start a discussion which ideally results in either changing the SCM of v4l-dvb to git _or_ leaving everything as it is today with mercurial.

To start right away: I'm in favour of using GIT because of difficulties I have with my "daily" work with v4l-dvb. It is in my nature do to mistakes, so I need a tool which assists me in fixing those, I have not found a simple way to do my stuff with HG.

I'm helping out myself using a citation from which basically describes why GIT fits the/my needs better than HG (*):

"The culture of mercurial is one of immutability. This is quite a good
thing, and it's one of my favorite aspects of gnu arch. If I commit
something, I like to know that it's going to be there. Because of this,
there are no tools to manipulate history by default.

git is all about manipulating history. There's rebase, commit amend,
reset, filter-branch, and probably other commands I'm not thinking of,
many of which make it into day-to-day workflows. Then again, there's
reflog, which adds a big safety net around this mutability."

The first paragraph here describes exactly my problem and the second descibes how to solve it.

My suggestion is not to have the full Linux Kernel source as a new base for v4l-dvb development, but "only" to replace the current v4l-dvb hg with a GIT one. Importing all the history and everything.

Unfortunately it will change nothing for Mauro's job.

I also understand that it does not give a lot to people who haven't used GIT until now other than a new SCM to learn. But believe me, once you've done a rebase when Mauro has asked you to rebuild your tree before he can merge it, you will see what I mean.

I'm waiting for comments.

Thanks,

(*)
http://www.rockstarprogrammer.org/post/2008/apr/06/differences-between-mercurial-and-git/