On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmuel...@kernellabs.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:31 AM, John S Gruber <johnsgru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I produced the dump of URB sizes you requested by adding that printk() line.
>> The
>> results are at http://pastebin.com/f26f29133
>
> Hi John,
>
> This is good info (especially since you have kernel timestamps enabled).
>
> Did you have a specific reference to the USB audio spec which said the
> packet size has to be on an integer boundary?  I took a look at the
> spec last night and didn't see anything to that end.
>
> Do you have a proposed patch to usbaudio.c which "works for you"?  If
> so, feel free to send it along and I will review and provide comments.
>  If the spec does not require the packets to be on an integer
> boundary, perhaps the driver just improperly assumes they will be (and
> they were for whatever developer wrote the original code).
>
> Devin
>
> --
> Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
> http://www.kernellabs.com

Hi Devin,

You might look at this:
http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/Audio2.0_final.zip
File: Frmts20 final.pdf
Sections 2.3.1.3, 2.3.1.4 and 2.3.1.5 on page 15
This is from release 2.0 from 5/31/2006

Also http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/frmts10.pdf
Sections 2.2.2, 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 on page 9. This is the 1998 1.0 release.

Thanks for your offer to review my patch. I'll try to post it yet
today.  I'm still messing around with it.