On 4 August 2018 at 10:50, Hans Verkuil <hverk...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While the Request API patch series addresses all the core API issues, there
> are some high-level considerations as well:
>
> 1) How can the application tell that the Request API is supported and for
>    which buffer types (capture/output) and pixel formats?
>
> 2) How can the application tell if the Request API is required as opposed to
> being
>    optional?
>
> 3) Some controls may be required in each request, how to let userspace know
> this?
>    Is it even necessary to inform userspace?
>
> 4) (For bonus points): How to let the application know which streaming I/O
> modes
>    are available? That's never been possible before, but it would be very nice
>    indeed if that's made explicit.
>
> Since the Request API associates data with frame buffers it makes sense to
> expose
> this as a new capability field in struct v4l2_requestbuffers and struct
> v4l2_create_buffers.
>
> The first struct has 2 reserved fields, the second has 8, so it's not a
> problem to
> take one for a capability field. Both structs also have a buffer type, so we
> know
> if this is requested for a capture or output buffer type. The pixel format is
> known
> in the driver, so HAS/REQUIRES_REQUESTS can be set based on that. I doubt
> we'll have
> drivers where the request caps would actually depend on the pixel format, but
> it
> theoretically possible.

Actually, I think that for stateless JPEG encoders and decoders, an application
could work without the Request API. In that case, the same encoding/decoding
parameters would be used for all the encoded/decoded buffers.

So, it seems that having per-pixelformat capabilities sounds correct.

> For both ioctls you can call them with count=0 at the start
> of the application. REQBUFS has of course the side-effect of deleting all
> buffers,
> but at the start of your application you don't have any yet. CREATE_BUFS has
> no
> side-effects.
>
> I propose adding these capabilities:
>
> #define V4L2_BUF_CAP_HAS_REQUESTS       0x00000001
> #define V4L2_BUF_CAP_REQUIRES_REQUESTS  0x00000002
> #define V4L2_BUF_CAP_HAS_MMAP           0x00000100
> #define V4L2_BUF_CAP_HAS_USERPTR        0x00000200
> #define V4L2_BUF_CAP_HAS_DMABUF         0x00000400
>
> If REQUIRES_REQUESTS is set, then HAS_REQUESTS is also set.
>
> At this time I think that REQUIRES_REQUESTS would only need to be set for the
> output queue of stateless codecs.
>
> If capabilities is 0, then it's from an old kernel and all you know is that
> requests are certainly not supported, and that MMAP is supported. Whether
> USERPTR
> or DMABUF are supported isn't known in that case (just try it :-) ).
>
> Strictly speaking we do not need these HAS_MMAP/USERPTR/DMABUF caps, but it
> is very
> easy to add if we create a new capability field anyway, and it has always
> annoyed
> the hell out of me that we didn't have a good way to let userspace know what
> streaming I/O modes we support. And with vb2 it's easy to implement.
>
> Regarding point 3: I think this should be documented next to the pixel
> format. I.e.
> the MPEG-2 Slice format used by the stateless cedrus codec requires the
> request API
> and that two MPEG-2 controls (slice params and quantization matrices) must be
> present
> in each request.
>
> I am not sure a control flag (e.g. V4L2_CTRL_FLAG_REQUIRED_IN_REQ) is needed
> here.
> It's really implied by the fact that you use a stateless codec. It doesn't
> help
> generic applications like v4l2-ctl or qv4l2 either since in order to support
> stateless codecs they will have to know about the details of these controls
> anyway.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

--
Ezequiel GarcĂ­a, VanguardiaSur