On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Andreas Besse <be...@motama.com> wrote:
> yes if there are different drivers I already observed the behaviour that
> the ordering gets flipped after reboot.
>
> But if I assume, that there is only *one* driver that is loaded (e.g.
> budget_av) for all dvb cards in the system, how is the ordering of these
> devices determined? How does the driver "search" for available dvb cards?

I believe your assumption is incorrect.  I believe the enumeration
order is not deterministic even for multiple instances of the same
driver.  It is not uncommon to hear mythtv users complain that "I have
two PVR-150 cards installed in my PC and the order sometimes get
reversed on reboot".

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs