Its looking for .config file inside the kernel source.

/lib/modules/2.6.31-17-generic/build/.config
  1) check that /build is a symlink to /usr/src/kernel-path-source
  2) IF there is something like /proc/config  , copy it to
/usr/src/kernel-path-source/.config
      IF NOT, then you could try doing a make oldconfig ....

I really dont know that the ubuntu packages includes inside, so, those
are my 2 cents...