On Fri, 20 Sep 2019, Doug Anderson <diand...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 7:54 AM Laurent Pinchart
> <laurent.pinch...@ideasonboard.com> wrote:
>> And remove Kees Cook and Colin King ? :-) Jokes aside, brushing up
>> get_maintainer.pl a bit is a good idea. I'm for instance not sure adding
>> LKML automatically is a good idea if other mailing lists are already
>> CC'ed, as it's a bit of a /dev/null (albeit with logging, so CC'ing it
>> when no other mailing list is appropriate certainly makes sense).
>
> Please don't do this, as it means the patch won't be findable on the
> "LKML" patchwork instance at:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/project/lkml/list/
>
> Having LKML copied on all patches is also nice because it makes it
> easier to respond to a patch that was posted to a list you didn't
> subscribe to.  I subscribe to LKML and have it redirected to a folder
> that I never look at.  Then if I want to find an email thread I can
> search that folder and easily respond from within my normal email
> client.
>
> Is there any downside to CCing LKML?

I think the question becomes, do we want *everything* posted to LKML?

For example, based on the last 30 days, the kernel the monthly addition
to LKML traffic from my corner of the kernel would be in this ballpark:

$ notmuch count date:30d.. to:intel-...@lists.freedesktop.org or
to:dri-de...@lists.freedesktop.org and not to linux-ker...@vger.kernel.org and
subject:PATCH
96904

OTOH LKML is already a firehose that's impossible to drink from, so not
much difference there...

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center