Hi Pavel,

On Tuesday 23 February 2010 08:41:49 Pawel Osciak wrote:
> >On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 00:12:18 +0100
> >Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinch...@ideasonboard.com> wrote:

> >> In that case I would remove it for QBUF as well, and state that the
> >> memory field must be ignored by drivers (but should they fill it when
> >> returning from QBUF/DQBUF ?)
> >
> >Agree. It seems that the memory field is not useful at all in the struct
> >v4l2_buffer if a same process does reqbuf, qbuf, dqbuf and querybuf.
>
> In the current multi-plane buffer proposal, the memory field is required
> in querybuf, qbuf and dqbuf for the v4l2-ioctl.c code to be able to
> determine whether the planes array should be copied from/to user along
> with the buffer.
> Just wanted to add another view to the problem, as multiplanes are accepted
> yet of course.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm not against keeping the requirement for
applications to set the memory field in the v4l2_buffer structure. QBUF and
DQBUF should behave the same way though, they should both require the field to
be set or not require it at all.

> As for the REQBUF, I've always thought it'd be nice to be able to ask the
> driver for the "recommended" number of buffers that should be used by
> issuing a REQBUF with count=0...

How would the driver come up with the number of recommended buffers ?

Laurent Pinchart