Hi,

On 03/20/2010 10:21 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
Hi all!

The second phase that needs to be done to remove the v4l1 support from the
kernel is that libv4l1 should replace the v4l1-compat code from the kernel.

I do not know how complete the libv4l1 code is right now. I would like to
know in particular whether the VIDIOCGMBUF/mmap behavior can be faked in
libv4l1 if drivers do not support the cgmbuf vidioc call.

Yes it can, this for example already happens when using v4l1 apps with
uvcvideo (which is not possible without libv4l1).

The third phase that can be done in parallel is to convert V4L1-only apps.
I strongly suspect that any apps that are V4L1-only are also unmaintained.
We have discussed before that we should set up git repositories for such
tools (xawtv being one of the more prominent apps since it contains several
v4l1-only console apps). Once we have maintainership, then we can convert
these tools to v4l2 and distros and other interested parties have a place
to send patches to.

As said before I wouldn't mind maintaining an xawtv git tree @ linuxtv,
assuming this tree were to be based on the 3.95 release.