Hi Murali,

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 18:52:44 Karicheri, Muralidharan wrote:
> Laurent,
>
> > > I'm not too sure to like the ti-media name. It will soon get quite
> > > crowded, and name collisions might occur (look at the linux-omap-camera
> > > tree and the ISP driver in there for instance). Isn't there an internal
> > > name to refer to both the DM6446 and AM3517 that could be used ?
> >
> > [Hiremath, Vaibhav] Laurent,
> >
> > ti-media directory is top level directory where we are putting all TI
> > devices drivers. So having said that, we should worrying about what goes
> > inside this directory.
> > For me ISP is more generic, if you compare davinci and OMAP.
> >
> > Frankly, there are various naming convention we do have from device to
> > device, even if the IP's are being reused. For example, the internal name
> > for OMAP is ISP but Davinci refers it as a VPSS.
>
> Could you explain what name space issue you are referring to in
> linux-omap-camera since I am not quite familiar with that tree?

The linux-omap-camera tree contains a driver for the OMAP3 ISP. Basically,
most source files start with the "isp" prefix and are stored in
drivers/media/video/isp/.

ISP is quite a generic name, and other vendors will probably develop an ISP at
some point (if not already done), so there's already a potential name conflict
today.

Using a dedicated directory in drivers/media/video for TI-specific cores is
definitely a good idea (assuming the same IP cores won't be used by other
vendors in the future).

My concern is that, if we move the ISP driver in drivers/media/video/ti-media,
the directory will soon get quite crowded. If a new TI processor comes up with
a totally incompatible ISP, we will get a name conflict in
drivers/media/video/ti-media. I was thinking about either replacing the "isp"
prefix with "omap3isp" (or similar), or moving the driver to
drivers/media/video/ti-media/omap3isp, but that will impede code sharing code
between the Davinci and OMAP processor families. That's where my uncertainty
comes from.

> Myself and Vaibhav had discussed this in the past and ti-media is the
> generic name that we could agree on. On DM SoCs (DM6446, DM355, DM365) I
> expect ti-media to be the home for all vpfe and vpbe driver files. Since
> we had a case of common IP across OMAP and DMxxx SoCs, we want to place
> all OMAP and DMxxx video driver files in a common directory so that
> sharing the drivers across the SoCs will be easy. We could discuss and
> agree on another name if need be. Any suggestions?

It's not the name ti-media that I don't agree on, it's just that this will
move the problem one step further in the directory hierarchy without actually
solving it :-)

Is it guaranteed today that no TI processors with new generation video blocks
will reuse the names ISP, VPFE and VPBE ? The OMAP3 datasheet refers to VPFE
and VPBE, but luckily those blocks are further divided into subblocks, and the
driver doesn't refer to the VPFE and VPBE directly.

Laurent Pinchart