Hello Hans,

thank you for the comments.

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 11:16 +0200, ext Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 April 2010 17:20:04 Matti J. Aaltonen wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > This is the initial version of my driver for Texas Instruments
> > WL1273 FM receiver transmitter. The driver is divided into three parts:
> > the MFD core which handles the communication with the chip and also
> > keeps the chip state, ASoC codec takes care of the digital audio part and
> > the V4L2 control part with some private IOCTLs.
> >
> > This is my first up-streaming effort so all comments are welcome.
>
> OK, I did a quick review and the main things that you need to look at are
> the RDS receiver API as defined in the spec
> (http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/ch04s11.html) and the FM and
> RDS transmitter controls:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/ch01s09.html#fm-tx-controls.

OK, I'll do that.

> Any private controls that you think you need should be discussed first. We
> may need to standardize them.

OK, I didn't realize that. But it makes sense, so let's discuss...

> The other thing you have to do in the V4L2 driver is to use struct
> v4l2_device.
> See also Documentation/video4linux/v4l2-framework.txt.

OK.

> I also noticed some FM and RDS things in the alsa driver. It is not clear to
> me why these are there since this is pretty much V4L2 specific.

Yes, I kind of new that those controls weren't a good idea. But I
implemented those when I didn't know better. Ande I left them there to
see if they would get accepted. But I'll remove them as the
functionality is duplicated in the V4L2 module.

> Regarding hardcoding regions: isn't this more for the application? Are there
> any legal requirements for region handling?

I thought about that a lot. And I know that the regions are a policy
thing that doesn't belong into the driver/kernel. But those two regions
are directly supported by the hardware so I thought that it would be OK
make them available.

> Most radio tuners just accept the whole frequency range that they support and
> leave it to the application to restrict it if needed depending on the region.

I understand... see above...

> Those disabled controls like bass, treble etc. should be removed. Workarounds
> for plainly broken applications is not something we want in our drivers.
> Instead make a patch for that app and send it to the maintainer. If it is
> unmaintained, then let us know: we can move unmaintained but frequently used
> apps to our own repository.

Fine... I did that just to copy the functionality of some existing
driver when I started.

B.R.

Matti