On Sunday 25 April 2010 15:42:54 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > On Sunday 21 March 2010 21:15:01 Oliver Endriss wrote:
> >> Mauro,
> >>
> >> Please pull from http://linuxtv.org/hg/~endriss/ngene
> >>
> >> for the following changeset:
> >>
> >> 01/01: ngene: Workaround for stuck DiSEqC pin
> >> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~endriss/ngene?cmd=changeset;node=1dc562463f63
> >>

> >>  stv090x.c |    4 ++++
> >>  1 file changed, 4 insertions(+)
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Oliver
> >
> > Ping!
>
> This patch were already merged on my fixes.git tree:
>
> commit 492c3a4e8749e70b2f981d600bc29a1798963ff9
> Author:     Oliver Endriss <o.endr...@gmx.de>
> AuthorDate: Sun Mar 21 11:48:47 2010 -0300
> Commit:     Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mche...@redhat.com>
> CommitDate: Thu Apr 1 12:58:29 2010 -0300
>
>     V4L/DVB: ngene: Workaround for stuck DiSEqC pin
>
>     Send one DiSEqC byte to make sure that the pin is set to low level.
>

> It is not on the development tree yet (so, it were not  added to the
> -hg tree).
>
> The rationale is that this patch should go first to upstream tree, and then,
> when merging again from Linus, it will appear at the development tree.
>
> However: if we backport from Linus right now, we'll move from a stable
> revision (2.6.33) to a non-stable random upstream version. I'm avoiding
> to do it, since, every time we merge back, a full compilation is required
> for those that are using git. On the other hand, if we simply add the
> patch at -git, it will appear again when submitting the development tree
> upstream.
>
> So, we basically need some ideas on how to improve the process without
> those issues . I have a few ideas about it (probably adding some branches
> at the tree), but I need first to work on my long queue of patches, in order
> to have some time to work on it.

Well, my understanding of a proper software development process is:
(1) Patch goes to the master development trees.
(2) Patch will (hopefully) get more testing.
(3) Patch should go upstream.

If we have to wait for patches to be applied upstream,
the master development trees are pointless...

CU
Oliver