On Fri, 21 May 2010, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> Mike Isely wrote:

   [snip]

> > The point when the kernel started complaining about the use of a stack
> > based USB I/O buffers is the relevant point, which was not back in
> > 2.6.12.  I learned of this behavior (that is, receiving warnings about
> > the usage) as being new in the 2.6.34 timeframe, the point when a user
> > pointed out the complaint message in his kernel log; at that time I had
> > not yet tested against that kernel version.
>
> Older kernels also complain if the stack were actually out of the
> DMA range and you try to program DMA there. Yet, only now we've seen
> consumer PC's with lots of RAM.

One of my test targets is a PC in 32 bit mode with 4GB of RAM; strange
then that I've never seen the kernel complain there.  The bad buffer has
been in the driver for even longer than that and nobody raised the issue
to me until about a month ago (the fix was created back then but for
other reasons that you already know it didn't become available in -hg
until last week).

> > Leave it as is.  What's done is done.  Your replaced comment is of
> > course still correct. I would just appreciate some better sensitivity
> > in the future about replacing authors' comments, especially since in
> > this case your interpretation of my original comment was wrong.
>
> Ok.

Thanks.

  -Mike

--