Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovet...@gmx.de> writes:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Michael Grzeschik wrote:
>
>> Moved mt9m111_init after the chip version detection passage: I
>> don't like the idea of writing on a device we haven't identified
>> yet.
>
> In principle it's correct, but what do you do, if a chip cannot be probed,
> before it is initialised / enabled? Actually, this shouldn't be the case,
> devices should be available for probing without any initialisation. So, we
> have to ask the original author, whether this really was necessary,
> Robert?

Michael is right I think.
According to the specification, even before the reset, the control registers can
be read, and they'll return their current values, which can be weird before
reset, excepting the CHIP_VERSION which is hard coded.

Therefore I think Michael is right by reading chip version before doing the
reset, and I ack this patch.

Cheers.

--
Robert