My HVR-1850 card occasionally jams, meaning it still tunes (according to gnutv), but no mpeg stream comes through.

This heals on reboot, but I figured it should also heal on module reinsertion.

However, when I remove the CX23885 module, along with the full set of DVB and related modules, and then reinsert them, I get this error when I attempt to open the stream -- zvbi-atsc-cc will for instance trigger it:

kernel:do_IRQ: 5.82 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)

If one card was initially jammed, now all the cards are jammed -- I'm testing five cards at once.

A discussion at http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg22375.html suggested adding the kernel parameter "pci=nommconf", but when I do that the problem does not go away -- and I also got this (perhaps unrelated):

cx25840 15-0044: likely a confused/unresponsive cx2388[578] A/V decoder found @ 0x88 (cx23885[4]) cx25840 15-0044: A method to reset it from the cx25840 driver software is not known at this time

Is it currently not safe to remove and reinsert the kernel modules for the HVR-1850, or am I just seeing a quirk?

Cheers,
Dave