Does anyone know whether, somewhere in the kernel, there exists a scheme
for detecting whether the external power supply of the computer is using
50hz or 60hz?

The reason I ask:

A certain camera is marketed with Windows software which requests the user
to set up the option of 50hz or 60hz power during the setup.

Judging by what exists in videodev2.h, for example, it is evidently
possible to set up this as a control setting in a Linux driver. I am not
aware of any streaming app which knows how to access such an option.

Information about which streaming app ought to be used which could take
advantage of a setting for line frequency would be welcome, too, of
course. As I said, I do not know of a single one and would therefore have
trouble with testing any such control setting unless I could find the
software which can actually present the choice to the user.

But my main question is whether the kernel already does detect the line
frequency anywhere else, for whatever reason. For, it occurs to me that a
far more elegant solution -- if the camera really does need to have the
line frequency detected -- would be do do the job automatically and not to
bother the user about such a thing.

In other news, in case anyone has any children who are in love with Lego,
the "Lego Bionicle" camera which is currently on sale has an SQ905C type
chip in it. I just added its Product number to the Gphoto driver last
night. And it works perfectly in webcam mode if one adds its product
number in gspca/sq905c.c. I will get around to doing that formally, of
course, when I get time. But if anyone wants just to add the number and
re-compile the Vendor:Product number for the new camera is 0x2770:0x9051.

Merry Christmas.

Theodore Kilgore