Hello,
I'm a "lucky" owner of a Syntek USB webcam (embedded on my Asus
laptop); as you might know Nicolas (CC) wrote a driver for these
cams[1][2], but it's still not included in mainline kernel.
Since I'd rather save myself and the other users the pain of compiling
an out-of-tree driver I'm offering my help to make the changes
necessary to see this driver upstreamed; I'm already a maintainer of
another driver (in hwmon), so I'm familiar with the development
process.
>From a quick overview of the code I've spotted a few problems:
- minor style issues, trivially dealt with
- missing cleanups in error paths, idem
- possible memory leak, reported on the bug tracker - requires investigation
- big switch statements for all the models, could be simplified with
function pointers

Another objection could be that the initialization is basically
writing magic numbers into magic registers... I guess that Nicolas
recorded the initialization sequence with a USB sniffer. No solution
for this one; does anybody have a contact inside Syntek?

Are there other issues blocking the inclusion of this driver?

Luca
[1] http://syntekdriver.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://syntekdriver.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/syntekdriver/trunk/