On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 16:49 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2011, at 8:22 AM, Andy Walls wrote:

> >> So as we were discussing on irc today, the -EIO is within lirc_zilog's
> >> send_boot_data() function. The firmware is loaded, and then we send the
> >> z8 a command to activate the firmware, immediately follow by an attempt
> >> to read the firmware version. The z8 is still busy when we do that, and
> >> throwing in a simple mdelay() remedies the problem for both the hvr-1950
> >> and the hdpvr -- tried 100 initially, and all the way down to 20 still
> >> worked, didn't try any lower.
> >
> > The Z8 on my HVR-1600 is using a 18.432 MHz crystal for its clock.
> >
> > The Z8 CPU Fetch and Execution units are running with a pipeline depth
> > of 1: 1 insn being executed while another 1 insn is being fetched.  Most
> > Z8 fetch or execution cycle counts are in the range of 2-4 cycles.  So
> > let's just assume an insn takes 4 cycles to execute.
> >
> >     18.432 MHz * 20 ms = 368,640 cycles
> >     368,640 cycles / 4 cycles/insn = 92,160 insns
> >
> > 20 ms is ~90k instructions, and seems like too long a delay to be just
> > for Z8 latency.
>
> Some further testing today with a try-check success-delay-retry loop
> shows one i2c_master_send() failure plus a udelay(100), and the second
> i2c_master_send() typically always works (I haven't seen it *not* work
> on the HVR-1950 in cursory testing).

Cool.

> A second similar loop has proven necessary for IR TX attempts to actually
> claim to succeed -- not 100% certain they really worked, as I don't have
> the IR emitter with me at the moment, its at home hooked up to my hdpvr,
> but I suspect its working fine now.

I'm not sure I follow here.  By "claim" I assume you mean no
i2c_master_send() error.

> > I find it interesting that for the HVR-1600 the delay isn't needed at
> > all.
> >
> > I'm wondering if there might also be some Linux/USB latency in getting
> > commands shoved over to the HVR-1950's controller (or maybe latency in
> > the HVR-1950's controller too), for which this delay is really
> > accounting.  I suppose in kernel tracing can be used to find the latency
> > on shoving things across the USB and watching for any Ack from the
> > HVR-1950 controller.  An experiment for some other day, I guess.
>
> Yeah, definitely seems to be specific to usb devices. On the plus side,
> the delay loops should only add insignificant delay overhead for pci
> devices, since if they work on the first call, there won't be any delay
> added.

Cool, nice implementation.

> Oh, I've also got IR RX with ir-kbd-i2c attached to the HVR-1950 working
> much better now, with the polling interval reverted to the standard
> 100ms, but simply introducing the same i2c_master_send() poll that
> lirc_zilog uses into get_key_haup_xvr().

You might want to check what video cards in the source tree request of,
or are defaulted by, ir-kbd-i2c to use get_key_haup_xvr().  If it's only
the chips at address 0x71, you're probably OK.

> I want to test today's changes with the hdpvr tonight (and verify that
> tx is working on the HVR-1950) before I send along my current stack of
> patches, and I have suspicions that most of the hdpvr-specific crud in
> lirc_zilog is bogus now -- it *should* behave exactly like the HVR-1950,
> which obviously doesn't follow any of those hdpvr-specific code paths,
> so I'm hoping we can rip out some additional complexity from lirc_zilog.

Good riddance to old kludges. :)

You could then rename the i2c client strings back to
"ir_[tr]x_z8f0811_haup".  We're going to modify struct IR_i2c_init_data
with all the bridge specific parameters that need to be sent anyway, so
no need to encode that information implicitly in the client's name
anymore.

Regards,
Andy