On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Sakari Ailus
<sakari.ai...@maxwell.research.nokia.com> wrote:
> Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>> Hi Sakari,
>
> Heippa,

Hello,

My 2 cents below.

>>> That's true.
>>>
>>> The alternative would be software timeout since the hardware timeout is
>>> rather coarse. Its intention is to protect the hardware from catching
>>> fire mostly.
>>
>> A software timeout can always be implemented in the driver in addition to the
>> hardware timeout. I think this should be transparent for applications.
>>
>>> But as I commented in the other e-mail, there likely isn't a need to be
>>> able to control this very precisely. The user just shuts down the flash
>>> whenever (s)he no longer needs it rather than knows beforehand how long
>>> it needs to stay on.
>>
>> What about hardware that needs to be pre-programmed with a duration ?
>
> Same control?
>
> I wonder if I could say we agree to have one timeout control which is
> used to control the hardware timeout directly, or to implement a timeout
> in software? :-)

Correct if I'm wrong, but I guess we might be talking about 2 kind of timeouts:
 - One for the duration itself
 - Another one to act like watchdog in addition to the hw timeout

IMO they should be different controls. We could even specify on the
control name when it's a watchdog case to make it more clear.

>>> The controllers recognise a torch mode and I think it describes the
>>> functionality quite well. Some appear to make a difference between torch
>>> and video light --- but I can't imagine a purpose in which this could be
>>> useful.
>>
>> Torch mode is indeed a common name, but it sounds a bit specific to me.
>
> Torch suggests it can be used over extended periods of time, unlike
> manual which doesn't really say much. I'd keep it torch since what it
> suggests is that it can stay on for long. No references outside the
> flash controller itself.

I'd keep with torch also as it seems to be more clear.

Regards,

David