On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 2:17 PM, HoP <jpetr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you tell me when such disscussion was done? I did a big attempt
> to check if my work is not reinventing wheels, but I found only some
> very generic frontend template by Emard <em...@softhome.net>.

See the "userspace tuner" thread here for the background:

http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2007-August/thread.html#19840

>> easier for evil tuner manufacturers to leverage all the hard work done
>> by the LinuxTV developers while providing a closed-source solution.
>
> May be I missunderstood something, but I can't see how frontend
> virtualization/sharing can help to leverage others work.

It helps in that it allows third parties to write drivers in userspace
that leverage the in-kernel implementation of DVB core.  It means that
a product developer who didn't want to abide by the GPL could write a
closed-source driver in userland which takes advantage of the
thousands of lines of code that make up the DVB core.

>> It was an explicit goal to *not* allow third parties to reuse the
>> Linux DVB core unless they were providing in-kernel drivers which
>> conform to the GPL.
>
> I'm again not sure if you try to argument against vtunerc code
> or nope.

I am against things like this being in the upstream kernel which make
it easier for third parties to leverage GPL code without making their
code available under the GPL.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs