Em 01-07-2011 08:15, Sakari Ailus escreveu:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 09:57:39AM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:

>>> I'm sure I've already mentioned, but I think it was at the Hans pull
>>> request:
>>> the specs don't mention what endiannes is needed for the bitmask controls:
>>> machine endianess, little endian or big endian.  IMO, we should stick with
>>> either
>>> LE or BE.
>>
>> Sorry Sakari, I should have fixed that. But since the patch was going through
>> your repository I forgot about it. Anyway, it should be machine endianess.
>> You
>> have to be able to do (value & bit_define). The bit_defines for each bitmask
>> control should be part of the control's definition in videodev2.h.
>>
>> It makes no sense to require LE or BE. We don't do that for other control
>> types,
>> so why should bitmask be any different?
>>
>> Can you add this clarification to DocBook?
>
> Thinking about this some more, if we're to say something about the
> endianness we should specify it for all controls, not just bitmasks. I
> really wonder if need this at all: why would you think the endianness in a
> bitmask would be some other than machine endianness, be it a V4L2 control or
> a flags field in, say, struct v4l2_buffer? It would make sense to document
> it if it differs from the norm, so in my opinion such statement would be
> redundant.

Because someone might have the "bright" idea of exposing a hardware register via
V4L2_CTRL_TYPE_BITMASK directly without reminding about the endiannes, and do
the
wrong thing.

There's not much problem on being redundant at the specs, but not specifying it
means that different implementations will still be valid.

Btw, if you take a look at the descriptions for RGB format at the spec, you'll
see
that endiannes problems already happened in the past: the specs had to
explicitly
allow both endiannes for a few RGB formats due to that.

I'm ok if we standardize that it should be the machine endiannes, but we should
be explicit on that.

Cheers,
Mauro