Hi

I've got a 8940 edition of a Hauppauge HVR-2200. The driver is called saa7164.
The versions included in my OS (mythbuntu 10.10 x86 32bit, kernel 2.6.35-30)
and from linuxtv.org are too old to recognise the 8940 edition. Posts #124 to
#128 in the "Hauppauge HVR-2200 Tuner Install Guide" topic
(http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/topic/37541-hauppauge-hvr-2200-tuner-
install-guide/page__view__findpost__p__321195) document my efforts with those
versions.

So I wish to use the latest stable drivers from the driver maintainers, ie
http://kernellabs.com/gitweb/?p=stoth/saa7164-stable.git;a=summary

Problem is, I don't know git and I don't know how I'm suppose to git, build
and install it.

Taking a guess I've tried:
  git clone git://kernellabs.com/stoth/saa7164-stable.git
  cd saa7164-stable
  make menuconfig
  make

However I suspect these are not the optimum steps, as it seems to have
downloaded and built much more than just the saa7164 drivers. The git pulled
down nearly 1GB (which seems a lot) and the resultant menuconfig produced a
very big ".config".

Am I doing the right steps or should I be doing something else to git, build
and install  the latest drivers ?

Thanks,
Declan