On Monday, August 22, 2011 12:40:25 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> Hi Hans
>
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>
> > Sorry for starting this discussion and then disappearing. I've been very
> > busy lately, so my apologies for that.
> >
> > On Tuesday, August 16, 2011 18:14:33 Pawel Osciak wrote:
> > > Hi Guennadi,

vb2_ops::queue_setup()
> > version
The

> > > Could we try exploring an alternative idea?
> > > The queue_setup callback was added to decouple formats from vb2 (and
> > > add some asynchronousness). But now we are doing the opposite, adding
> > > format awareness to vb2. Does vb2 really need to know about formats? I
> > > really believe it doesn't. It only needs sizes and counts. Also, we
> > > are actually complicating things I think. The proposal, IIUC, would
> > > look like this:
> > >
> > > driver_queue_setup(..., create, num_buffers, [num_planes], ...)
> > > {
> > >     if (create != NULL && create->format != NULL) {
> > >         /* use create->fmt to fill sizes */
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > >     } else if (create != NULL) { /* this assumes we have both format or
> > sizes */
> > >         /* use create->sizes to fill sizes */
> >
> > No, create->format should always be set. If the application can fill in
the
> > sizeimage field(s), then there is no need for create->sizes.
> >
> > >     } else {
> > >         /* use currently selected format to fill sizes */
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > >     }
> > > }
> > >
> > > driver_s_fmt(format)
> > > {
> > >     /* ... */
> > >     driver_fill_format(&create->fmt);
> > >     /* ... */
> > > }
> >
> > ???
> >

> > > driver_create_bufs(create)
> > > {
> > >     vb2_create_bufs(create);
> > > }
> > >
> > > vb2_create_bufs(create)
> > > {
> > >     driver_queue_setup(..., create, ...);
> > >     vb2_fill_format(&create->fmt); /* note different from
> > > driver_fill_format(), but both needed */
> >
> > Huh? Why call vb2_fill_format? vb2 should have no knowledge whatsoever
about
> > formats. The driver needs that information in order to be able to allocate
> > buffers correctly since that depends on the required format. But vb2
doesn't
> > need that knowledge.
>
> It would be good if you also could have a look at my reply to this Pawel's
> mail:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-
infrastructure/36905

> and, specifically, at the vb2_parse_planes() function in it. That's my
> understanding of what would be needed, if we preserve .queue_setup() and
> use your last suggestion to include struct v4l2_format in struct
> v4l2_create_buffers.

vb2_parse_planes can be useful as a utility function that 'normal' drivers can
call from the queue_setup. But vb2 should not parse the format directly, it
should just pass it on to the driver through the queue_setup function.

You also mention: "All frame-format fields like fourcc code, width, height,
colorspace are only input from the user. If the user didn't fill them in, they
should not be used."

I disagree with that. The user should fill in a full format description, just
as with S/TRY_FMT. That's the information that the driver will use to set up
the buffers. It could have weird rules like: if the fourcc is this, and the
size is less than that, then we can allocate in this memory bank.

It is also consistent with REQBUFS: there too the driver uses a full format
(i.e. the last set format).

I would modify queue_setup to something like this:

int (*queue_setup)(struct vb2_queue *q, struct v4l2_format *fmt,
                     unsigned int *num_buffers,
                     unsigned int *num_planes, unsigned int sizes[],
                     void *alloc_ctxs[]);

Whether fmt is left to NULL in the reqbufs case, or whether the driver has to
call g_fmt first before calling vb2 is something that could be decided by what
is easiest to implement.